Thursday 26 September 2013

Tutorial - Autumnal Eye-shadow Look





So as we are now well and truly in the Autumn season, I thought that I would mix up my make-up a bit and experiment with some typical autumnal shades. Up until now you would have thought that I was mad by even considering to step away from my signature bronzey, smokey eye-shadow look that I just have to sport on a daily basis! 
Anyway, lo and behold, I have decided to create a cranberry/plum eye-shadow look that I have tried out a couple of times now and I absolutely love it! 

1. As usual I started off by applying the 'Urban Decay Primer Potion' to my lids to create a base for the eye-shadows to cling to and most of all for them to last all day! You literally only need the tiniest amount of this and I just blend it out with my finger all over the lid. 

2. I then took the shade 'Foxy' from my 'Urban Decay Naked 2' palette which is the perfect neutral eyelid shade and I just applied this with a flat eye-shadow brush all over the lid and up to the brow bone to even out any discolouration, creating the perfect base.

3. Next I used the 'Maybelline 24 Hour Color Tattoo' in the shade 'Metallic Pomegranate' which is a beautiful shade of cranberry with a gold shimmer running through and to begin with I just patted the colour lightly over the lid. I then used a blending brush just to soften any harsh lines and blend the shadow out. 

4. For the inner third of the eye-lid I decided to use a shimmery cranberry/plum shade from MUA in 'Shade 24' and to apply it I used another flat eye-shadow brush to pack on the colour. 

5. To give it that smokey look, I decided to take the shadow 'Conker' from the 'Sleek I-Divine' Palette which I've had for years now and have found that recently I've been reaching for this quite a bit! Anyway the shade is a lovely dark brown but with undertones of red and gold shimmer and I thought this would look great to blend in the outer corners.  

6. To blend all of the eye-shadows and to get rid of any harsh lines, I took the shade 'Chino' from the new MUA 'Matte Ever After' palette with a fluffy eye-shadow brush. This is a great purpley/brown matte transition shade to use in the crease to add some definition to the eye as well as blending some of the eye-shadows slightly up to the brow-bone. After using this shade I then realised that you could also use the shade 'Tease' from the 'UD Naked 2' palette which is very similar!

7 & 8. To ensure that my eyes didn't look too 'top heavy' I took a smudging brush to apply the shade 'Conker' on the outer half of my lower lash line and I also took the MUA 'Shade 24' on the inner half of the lower lash line. I also used the same brush just to blend the two shades together and also to smudge them out a bit to achieve a smokey look. 

9. To highlight the inner corner of the eyes I used the MUA 'Shade 1' eye-shadow which is a beautiful shimmery cream/champagne shade and is perfect for the eyes to appear more open and awake. 

10. To make my upper lash line appear thicker, I applied my favourite liquid liner which is the 'Collection Extreme Felt-Tip Liner'. I find that it is so easy to use and it literally stays put the whole day without transferring on the lid! 

11. I then used the 'Rimmel Scandeleyes' Kohl eyeliner in '001 Black' to use in the waterline and tightline which again is a favourite of mine as it has a really creamy texture so it literally just glides on and again lasts all day!

12. An obvious step - Curl those lashes!

13 & 14. I then used the 'Rimmel Lash Accelerator Endless' mascara which is great at seperating and lengthening the lashes and I then paired this mascara with 'Maybelline: The Rocket' mascara which I find works brilliantly at making my lashes appear more thicker an fuller! I find that both of these mascaras work really well together and neither shed or smudge at all during the course of the day! 

15. It was at this point that I felt that I needed a tiny bit of black eye-shadow in the outer corner of my eyes so I took the shade 'Blackout' from the 'UD Naked 2' palette which is just a matte black eye-shadow and I used a fluffy eye-shadow brush to apply very lightly in a 'v' shape just for some added defintion. I would normally not apply any shadow after using mascara and eyeliner but I felt the look wasn't complete without a bit of black just for some added smokeyness!

There you have it! 
A step-by-step tutorial of how to achieve this autumnal eye-shadow look. I really like it and I certainly plan on using more colourful shades on my eyes! I hope you enjoyed it and I would love to know what you think of this look and if you plan on re-creating it for yourselves! 

Thanks for reading!!

Louise 
xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment